NORTHLAND SPEEDWAY CHAMPS - BOARD OF CONTROL
RULES - B GRADE
B Grade Saloon Specifications
B Grade is a step up from Production Saloon/ Super Production Saloons;
It allows more modifications to both the motor and the body.
Competitors are asked to respect the spirit of these rules.
IF IT IS NOT MENTIONED THEN IT IS NOT PERMITTED!
· Any two or four door vehicle can be used.
· No 4WD or 4 wheel steering cars allowed. Two wheel drive only.
· OEM means original equipment manufacture. Where OEM parts are required, their components must retain their original identification marks.
· Also the car has to race in this Grade at its own club level.
IF IT IS NOT MENTIONED THEN IT IS NOT PERMITTED
1. (a) Mismatched engine-to-body are allowed.
1. (b) All production based bodies must retain the original structural strength i.e. firewall, floor pan, A and B pillars etc
1. (c) full space frames allowed
1. (d) Fiberglass panels are allowed i.e. door skins, guards
1. (e) Body skirts may be mounted all round and must be below the original bumper bar line.
1. (f) The engine may be put in any position inside the car.
1. (g) All glass, lights, chrome strips, projecting door handles, metal badges and any inflammable material must be removed with the exception of the internal rear vision mirror,
gauges, drivers and passenger seats where fitted.
(Optional passenger seat – if passenger seat remains in the vehicle then window nets, window screens etc apply to the passenger side as well)
1. (h) All potentially dangerous sharp objects must be removed
1. (i) Protective mesh screen is to be fitted to cover opening immediately in front of the driver.
1. (k) Hole size to be a maximum of 100mm square, smaller is strongly recommended.
1. (k) Window net to be fitted to the drivers side window or arm restraints.
2.(a) All doors must be welded or bolted or adequately secured to the scrutineer’s satisfaction.
3. (a) Are to be fitted to the front and rear, to completely isolate the driver from the engine, fuel tank and radiators.
All holes to be plugged or covered. All pipes and wires passing through these firewalls are to be guarded against chaffing.
BONNET AND BOOT
4. (a) Lids must be securely strapped, pinned or quick release fasteners
SEAT AND HEADREST
5. (a) must be securely mounted and have suitable padded headrests, minimum
280mm x 150mm x 3 mm steel either as part of the seat or mounted in the correct position on the roll cage.
5. (b) Fiberglass seats must have 3mm steel support plate fixed underneath and behind the seat.
5. (c) Seat must be welded or bolted into position.
A properly approved race seat is recommended.
6. (a) Shall be a full harness quick release type with five point mounting (i.e. shoulder, lap and crotch), 75mm minimum width,
They must be securely mounted with loop guards, through the headrest. The seat belt must be approved by the scrutineer for type
and condition and must fit the driver and passenger where applicable.
7. (a) Must be fitted in the front of the driver to cover at least half the window, maximum of 100mm square or round mesh, (smaller mesh is recommended).
A centre vertical support bar must be fitted to any mesh edge.
7. (b) Where a passenger seat is fitted, mesh must cover the whole window. Mesh must be a minimum of 6 gauge wire and meet the approval of the scrutineer.
7. (c) An easily removable net must be fitted to the driver window (same applies for the passenger side if passenger seat is installed)
Note: the use of steel mesh on side windows is not permitted; nets must meet the scrutineer’s satisfaction.
8 (a) Must be of car variety or fabricated replica from pressed channel up to a maximum size of 76mm x 38mm x 3.2mm provided they follow the same contours as the car body.
Corner radius must match the body radius with the ends capped and be manufactured to a professional standard.
8 (b) Bumper reinforcing to be a maximum of one 42mm OD pipe or RHS allowed extending to the wheel openings. Must be radius and capped ends.
ROLL CAGE AND LEG PROTECTION
9 (a) A Roll cage to the minimum standard illustrated MUST be fitted to all cars. It must be of 40mm steam pipe, 3.25 wall thickness or better, or RHS.
9 (b) Aluminum is not allowed.
9 (c) Side impact intrusion must be prevented by 3mm mill plate fitted from the rear of the drivers seat (same on passenger side if a passenger seat is fitted), to the front firewall.
9 (d) Roll cage must have diagonal bracing, min 25mm fitted immediately behind the seat, from the passenger side top to the driver’s side bottom.
9 (e) If a passenger seat is fitted, a second diagonal, from the passenger side top to the drivers side bottom must be fitted.
9 (f) The roof plate must have 50mm clearance between it and the drivers helmet, and a roof plate must be fitted to both sides of the vehicle if a passenger seat is fitted.
9 (g) Front mounted engines with fly wheels inside the cabin (or cockpit) must have a full steel shield (min3mm steel or 6mm alloy).
10 (a) Fuel injection is allowed on all engines up to 5litres
10 (b) Any Motor up to 308 + 60th capacity allowed in Production based Bodies
10 (c) Space-Frame cars up to 265 + 60/4.5 litre only.
10 (d) Alloy blocks/heads are permitted if factory fitted. Roller Rockers allowed.
10 (e) Must be OEM production engines only
10 (f) only Copper or aluminum radiators are permitted.
10 (g) Water pump must be OEM and mounted at the front of the engine.
10 (h) any carburetor allow
11. Fan may be replaced with an electric fan if wished.
12 (a) The radiator may be fitted anywhere in the vehicle, as long as it is safe, but the driver MUST be protected from scalding should a leak or burst occur.
12 (b) All joints or rubber fitting in the piping and the radiator itself must be shielded from the driver.
12 (c) The radiator must be fitted below window level.
13 (a) The battery must be securely mounted inside a 1.2mm minimum steel, aluminum box or battery box. Such boxes must be fitted with a secure lid insulated from the battery terminals.
13 (b) AN ISOLATING SWITCH clearly marked “ON” and “OFF” must be fitted within easy reach of the driver and crash rescue team.
13 (c) Magnetos are not permitted unless OEM.
13 (d) Twin Point distributors allowed.
13 (e) after market computers allowed
13 (f) Electronic ignitions allowed
14. Must be protected against damage or chafing. It is recommended that all unnecessary wiring be removed.
15. The vehicle must be capable of being started by the driver.
16 (a) only standard pump petrol or Aviation Fuel allowed – no blends
16 (b) No additives are permitted, with the exception of those additives specially manufactured to protect valves and valve seats against the use of unleaded petrol.
16 (c) Space frame and production based cars 600cfm Holley maximum. Multiply carburetors permitted to total of 600cfm. Multiply carb set up must have certified document from
an approved carburetor specialist to prove cfm. Forced induction, turbo charged engines are allowed. Rating of engines to be
1.5x the motor size. All carburetor throttle bodies to remain as OEM specifications – no modifications permitted.
16 (d) One fuel tank only allowed.
17. Must be welded steel construction no less than 18 swg gauge and no more than 22.5 ltr (5 gallon) capacity, securely fastened in the boot of the car. It must have a screw on cap and
an air breather that goes horizontally once around the tank then through the floor, protruding 50mm under the car.
18 (a) Must be steel or cooper securely mounted inside the car. All joints or flexible lines must be approved, fuel hose securely clamped, no plastic fuel lines are permitted.
18 (b) Fitting is to be an approved for pressure side pump.
19. Must be clearly marked “ON” and “OFF” and shall be securely mounted within easy reach of the driver and crash crew, and shall be no closer than 150mm to any electrical component.
WHEELS AND TYRES
20 (a) Road or racing tyres allowed only. No rally grip, chunky treads etc.
20 (b) Grooving of tyres allowed.
20 (c) May extend 75mm outside guard or flaring or 150mm outside normal body line.
21 (a) Rims up to 15” max diameter no wider than 14” between the beads
21 (b) No aluminum or plastic wheels permitted
21 (c) bead lock rims are permitted
21 (d) bead locks must be of steel construction
21 (e) Wheels may be widened as per specifications.
22 (a) Must operate on all four wheels and be in working order at all times.
22 (b) any brake balancing system permitted as long as brakes function on all four wheels
22 (d) after market brakes permitted
23 (a) No quick change diffs allowed
23 (b) Locked diffs or LSD’s allowed
23 (c) Conversion of an OEM diff unit application is not permitted (i.e. closed tube type to independent design, (i.e. Mounting a shortened Morris Commercial diff head to the chassis is illegal).
23 (d) Mixing of OEM rear axle units is permitted, (e.g. Mark 4 Zephyr diff head with Datsun 180B rear stubs and hub units)
23 (e) live axles permitted
24 (a) All transmissions must be mounted to the engine block with standard length bell housings.
24 (b) No mid-mounted transmissions or quick-change diffs are permitted.
24 (c) Converter less/clutch-type autos are not permitted
24 (d) All converters to be full of transmission fluid.
24 (e) Aluminum flywheels are not permitted.
24 (f) only single plate clutches allowed
25 (a) number is to be painted on the front door panels on both sides, and on the roof in such a position as to be clearly visible to they lap scorer.
They shall be black on white background or white on black background or such to meet the scrutineers approval. They shall be a minimum of 380mm high and 50mm wide.
25 (b) The Number choices must be approved and granted by the club and club emblem K, WR, T, D etc.
26 (a) Left hand drive vehicles allowed
26 (b) Drive shaft loop must be fitted no more than 150mm back from the gear box or any forward facing universal
27 (a) No weight Jacker's allowed
27 (b) Vehicle weight will be worked according to the NZ speedway Specifications
No vehicle will be allowed to race unless examined and passed as suitable by the Scurtineer at the commencement of each meeting.
President; Ken Crisp
Secretary; Debbie Beadle-Taylor 09-4012651
Treasurer: Anita Sloot 021 782634